Rob's Thoughts and Stuff

Completely non sensical ramblings and other stuff from Rob Douglas, a US Army Paratrooper.

Name:
Location: Fayetteville, NC

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Winning the hearts and minds

I was given one of those moments where you get to reflect on the impact of your actions. On my way from Ghazni back to Sharana, I passed a yound kid riding on a bike. The contractor we hired to pave the road between Ghazni and Sharana had just opened that section of road this last week. The kid on the bike was riding with no hands. He was waving and smiling at us. He was happy.

Two months ago, when we were wrapping up construction on the road from Zormat to Gardez, a youn guy rode by on his bike on a section of road we had just finished. I was checking the road to see if there were any mistakes and the compaction was to the proper ratio. The kid was making noises like a speeding car. As much of a poor road as it is by our standards, it is a great ride for them. It is small moments like this that give me satisfaction that what we do here may actually have some lasting impact on the development of Afghanistan.

That is one of the great things about being an engineer here. Unlike the infantry, I have a legacy I can point to on what I did for the Afghani people.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome - too bad stuff like that doesn't end up on the news!

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how you took a dig at the Infantry. Nice!

Ok, so two things - I am going to buy two shirts to represent your deployment:

1. My husband was deployed to Iraq and all I got was this baby. (Obviously this will have to wait.)

2. Sex Deprived for your Freedom!!

Aren't those great.

Love ya,

kel

8:00 PM  
Blogger stormhuse said...

First time I read your blog and you insult the Infantry. Sad. When you get home I'll explain the legacy we, as an Army and a team, have left for the folks of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Other than that, great blog, Rob! Hope you are doing well!

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thousands of miles away and STILL able to get people fired up. I love it!

And Kelly - get me one of those shirts....the Afghanistan one! :-) JK

4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home